Community Outreach and Education
Assist our team at an event
Help restore and protect VB waterways
Volunteer and assist LRNow with restoration projects throughout the year!
It takes a community to bring about change and reverse decades of abuse and neglect of our waterways. Through education, restoration, and advocacy we can achieve our goal of clean and healthy Virginia Beach waterways. This good work cannot be done without the help from our dedicated volunteers. Every year, LRNow volunteers dedicate thousands of hours working to protect and preserve our precious waterways and natural resources. From getting your boots muddy at a monthly trash cleanup, to encouraging residents to incorporate sustainable practices at home, or assisting with an oyster castle build along a living shoreline…there are opportunities for everyone!
2023 Volunteer Opportunities
- Pembroke Meadows Living Shoreline Project – LRNow is looking for strong arms and backs to help us move 40 tons of sand (that’s about 400 wheelbarrow loads) and raking it out to grade over 800 square feet.
When: May 20-21, 2023 from 7am to 10am
May 27-29, 2023 from 9am to 2pm as necessary. This will be broken into two shifts.
How: SIGN UP HERE
- Participate at a waterway cleanup
When: LRNow hosts cleanups along our Virginia Beach waterways every month (except December) to remove marine debris, improve water quality and keep our city’s waters healthy and clean. All ages are welcome. Visit our waterway cleanup page to view list of upcoming waterways cleanup dates and times and to learn more
How: SIGN UP HERE
Education and Outreach
- Assist the pearl team with a program or at an event. Examples: Help pack and prep materials for new pearl home members, help prepare children’s activities, help us educate the community at an outreach event. SIGN UP HERE
- LRNow in partnership with Crafters for Charity and the Virginia Beach Senior Resource Center will host a reusable bag sewing workshop. We are repurposing old fabrics that would otherwise end up in the landfill to make reusable totes for those who don’t have easy access to them for our Give a Bag, Take a Bag campaign. Learn more about Give a Bag, Take a Bag.
When: April 17, 2023 from 10am – 12:30pm
How: SIGN UP HERE
- Join LRNow’s advocacy network and become an environmental advocate in your part of the City of Virginia Beach. SIGN UP HERE or click to Learn more about LRNow’s Advocacy team and how you can help us advocate for good environmental policy in our area.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
- Monthly Waterway Cleanups
LRNow hosts cleanups along our Virginia Beach waterways every month (except December) to remove marine debris, improve water quality and keep our city’s waters healthy and safe. Cleanups may be land-based and/or water-based depending on the location chosen for any given month. Click here for more information. Ready to get muddy and help keep our waterways clean? Sign up here.
- Water Quality Monitoring
Our water quality monitoring volunteers are our every month collecting samples that provide us with valuable data on a wide range of pollutants. In partnership with HRSD, Lynnhaven River Now works with volunteers to collecting water samples at over 20 different waterway sites across Virginia Beach. Water samples are delivered to HRSD for processing and the results are shared and published to provide local community groups, schools, the City of Virginia Beach and state agencies. Email Helen@lrnow.org for more information.
- Oyster Spat Catchers
Do you have access to tidal waters in Virginia Beach or know of someone who does? Spat catchers can gather important data that will assist us in understanding spat (baby oyster) settlement in Rudee Inlet/Owls Creek, the Lynnhaven River and tributaries, and Elizabeth River (Virginia Beach only). Volunteers will each receive two small cages, one with oyster shell and the other with an experimental substrate. Next spat catcher volunteer roundup: Spring 2023. Email Helen@lrnow.org for more information.
- Office administration volunteers. Email Office@lrnow.org
- Become a Community Scientist
- Inspire and educate future generations through our education department.
If you are interested in volunteering but aren’t available on any of the dates listed or do not see upcoming event listed on the links above, send us your info anyway using the links above or email email@example.com.
For more information or questions contact our office (757) 962-5398 or email Emily@lrnow.org