Saving Oyster Shells
Having an Oyster Roast or Clam Bake? Save those Shells!
Save Oyster Shells (S.O.S.) for the Lynnhaven. If your organization (or you personally) have an oyster roast coming up, give us a call! We will pick up the oyster shell following your roast, and they will be cured and later used on a sanctuary oyster reef! Call 962-5398 or email Dana@lrnow.org .
In the Summer of 2006, Lynnhaven River NOW launched a pilot program with 8 Virginia Beach restaurants as well as public donations to gather and recycle oyster and clam shells which were used to build our LRNow/Athey Island Oyster Reef in the Spring of 2008. The pilot program was so successful, it is now an ongoing program in partnership with the City of Virginia Beach.
Look for the trash cans labeled “Shell Only” at these Public Drop-off Sites for your Oyster and Clam shells:
- Lynnhaven River NOW office, Brock Environmental Center, 3663 Marlin Bay Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23455. (Near the parking lot entrance from Marlin Bay Dr, set atop a wooden platform.)
- VA Aquarium in the Satellite Parking Lot, 717 General Booth Blvd. (This is the parking lot ACROSS General Booth Blvd. from the main Aquarium building.)
- Welton’s Seafood, 940 Laskin Road, our newest drop-off location!
- Virginia Beach Landfill, 1989 Jake Sears Road, ask for directions at the gate.
- Satellite Lynnhaven River NOW office, 1608 Pleasure House Rd, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23455
These VB Restaurants are saving their oyster & clam shells for us, and we hope you will patronize them and thank them for their participation:
- 21st Street Seafood Company, 2106 Pacific Avenue
- Atlantic on Pacific, 3004 Pacific Avenue
- Abbey Road Restaurant, 203 22nd Street
- Blue Seafood and Spirits, 2181 Upton Drive, Suite 420
- Captain George’s, 1956 Laskin Road
- Coastal Grill, 1427 N. Great Neck Road, #104
- CP Shuckers, 1400 Atlantic Avenue
- CP Shuckers, 3232 Shore Drive
- Croakers, 3629 Shore Drive
- Croc’s 19th Street Bistro, 620 19th Street
- Dockside, 3311 Shore Drive
- Fin McCool’s, Landstown Commons, Princess Anne Road
- Harpoon Larry’s, 216 24th Street
- Hot Tuna, 2817 Shore Drive
- Lucky Oyster, 2165 General Booth Boulevard
- Mahi Mah’s, 615 Atlantic Avenue
- Ocean Eddie’s, 1506 Atlantic Avenue
- Rockafeller’s, 308 Mediterranean Avenue
- Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel,3501 Atlantic Avenue
- Steinhilber’s Restaurant, 653 Thalia Road
- Tautog’s, 205 23rd Street
- Yukai Seafood Buffet, 1952 Laskin Road
- Simple Eats, 3152 Shore Drive