To advise and educate the public on sustainable landscape practices to improve water quality.Primary Goals:
- To support the Pearl Homes program by providing resources and educational opportunities to residents of the Lynnhaven River watershed.
- To expand contact with the public to provide education on proper landscape practices.
- To have nitrogen and phosphorous levels meet the SAV habitat requirements (Dennison et al. 1993) as noted in the State of the River report.
- To have 175 acres of underwater grass beds in the river reestablished.
- To increase buffer plantings through the Lynnhaven watershed.
- To reduce total acreage of turf and other high input plant materials in the watershed.
- To continue increased community involvement with LRNow.
- Workshops to build your own rain barrel are offered several times a year to help citizens reduce stormwater runoff from their property.
- Provide Lynnhaven-friendly landscape management information through publications available to citizens, gardening groups and landscape professionals.
- Periodically provide citizen workshops on building rain gardens and buffer gardens.
- Provide soil test options that are sensitive to water quality problems in regard to nitrogen loading
The Landscape Practices committee meets at 8:00am on the third Thursday of each month at Bayville Golf and Country Club, First Court Road, Virginia Beach unless otherwise announced and noted. It does not meet during the months of August and December.